WHAT IS THE E-PASSPORT?
The electronic passport or the e-passport is the latest generation of Machine Readable Travel Documents (MRTDs) with chip based security features, which are more secure, and is a user-friendly travel document. The adoption of the e-passport is in compliance with the standards of MRTDs, specified by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO).
LIFESPAN FOR THE E-PASSPORT
The new e-passport has a life span of ten (10) years for adults and five (5) years for children below the age of 16.
TYPES OF THE E-PASSPORT:
- National – General for all Batswana
- Official – For senior Government officials, e.g Deputy Permanent Secretaries
- Diplomatic – For diplomats, e.g. President, Judges, Members of Parliament, Foreign Affairs Officials and Permanent Secretaries.
WHAT DO I NEED WHEN APPLYING FOR THE E-PASSPORT?
For persons aged 16 years and above you are required to bring:
- Original identity card/ Omang
- Certified copy of identity card/ Omang
- If your parents are still alive, their Particulars are needed (e.g names and surnames, their Omang numbers, place of birth and/or nationality)
- Citizenship/ Naturalization Certificates of parents’ and/ or owner if parents were once foreign nationals (seek clarity from passport and citizenship officers)
- Previously held passport
For children under 16 years of age you are required to bring:
- Original birth certificate and certified copy of birth certificate Children born outside the country should bring birth certificate/ registration card of their country of birth and certified copies
- Parent’s/guardian original Omang or letter from the District Commissioner, Chief or Social Worker for proof of guardianship
- Citizenship/ Naturalisation Certificates of parents and/or owner if parents were once foreign nationals or registration certificate (seek clarity from passport and citizenship officers)
- Bring the child along when applying for their passport.
NB: For children with dual citizenship the passport validity is restricted to when the child turns 21 years of age (for renunciation purposes).
HOW MUCH DOES THE E-PASSPORT COST?
- Normal Service – P260 (Issuance is within 5 days)
- Express Service – P390 (Issuance is within 48 hours)
- Extra Service – P520 (Issuance is within 24 hours)NB: P1000.00 penalty fee for lost, stolen or soiled passport will be charged in addition to the applicable fee.NB: Surrender the old /soiled passport for replacement. The applicant or parent/ guardian does application forms and/or collection of passports if child is under 16 years of age.
NB: Electronic Emergency Traveling Document (E-ETD) is P12.00. Deadline for the old passport
NB: Apply for your new passport now.
PLACES TO APPLY FOR THE E-PASSPORT
Passport applications can be made at; the Department of Immigration and Citizenship Headquarters Office (in Gaborone), Loapi Service Centre (Gaborone), Universal Service Centre (Gaborone), Tsabong, Hukuntsi, Gantsi, Mochudi, Ramotswa, Molepolole, Kanye, Jwaneng, Serowe, Sefhare, Selebi Phikwe District office, Bobonong, Palapye, Mahalapye, Orapa, Letlhakane, Sowa, Masunga, Tutume and Lobatse, Maun Integrated Office, Gumare, Mohembo Border Post and Kasane. Francistown office will be connected with the Passport System after relocation of offices. Botswana Diplomatic Missions will be connected after August 2011.
The Electronic Emergency Travel Document (E-ETD) will be issued in cases of emergency only such as medical and grievances reasons.